Set a meeting with your student to discuss internship opportunities and any guidelines specific to your department. Your student will now register on-line for credit-bearing internships through JobWISE.
- Faculty and student will review the Internship-Worksheet and complete the Course Objectives and Evaluation sections. If your department has standardized objectives and evaluation processes, you may want to download the worksheet, complete these sections, and then distribute the department-specific form to students.
- Some discussion points for risk management can be found here.
- Students need to have verbal confirmation of the internship from their site supervisor including clear knowledge of the expectations of the internship. A brief job description is needed for the online form.
- After meeting with their sponsoring faculty member to confirm the internship, students should use their completed worksheet to enter their internship information online. See instructions for this process.
- Once the student enters the internship information into JobWISE, an email will be automatically generated and sent to faculty and the internship site. They require faculty initials – please approve these right away so the student can be registered.
- Optional: A midterm and final evaluation can be sent through JobWISE to the student’s site supervisor.
How many hours per credit?
There isn’t currently a college standard on internship hours per credit. These will vary based on department and the requirements of the placement. The range for most departments is 35-60 hours per credit. This is consistent with a review of other colleges.
Contact Karen Balnis for assistance with:
- Setting up or sponsoring an internship for an individual student
- Managing an internship or practicum course with multiple placement sites
- Identifying community partners or interested businesses