Professor Deborah Doubleday Wins Teaching Award!

Professor Deborah Doubleday was recently awarded the Adjunct Faculty Performance Award for her exemplary working teaching COMM 171: Public Speaking. She began her teaching career at Keene State College in 1987. Now in her fiftieth semester, Professor Doubleday stated that she feels honored to receive this award and is thankful that she had a great group of students to work with over the years.

Students describe Professor Doubleday’s class as a transformational experience. As one student explained: “When I came into the course, I was so terrified of public speaking that I used to have anxiety attacks before a speech. Now I actually have grown to like public speaking.” The public speaking course teaches students vital public communication skills in a host of speaking situations, allowing students to gain confidence in self-expression. One student described Professor Doubleday’s dedication to the class, saying that she is “very passionate and caring about what she taught. It was honestly inspiring.”

For Professor Doubleday, winning the award, she said, was “a team effort. Without my students and an observer, it is hard to know how effective you really are.” She sees this award as a means of improving her teaching, stating that: “Conversations around teaching make more effective teachers.”

We are truly lucky to have such effective and dedicated teachers in our department. Congratulation Professor Doubleday!